Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A no picture update and small Ireland stories

So we got to Ireland this past Monday and are now staying with Madge's sister Francie and her fiance in Portarlington, Ireland. (Just about an hour south of Dublin) It is a great house with lots of room, and the cutest Golden Labrador retriever puppy named Booter. (pics soon to come.) We will be here until the 24th of this month, which is the day we leave for Cyprus. However, for 6 days out of that time I am going to be going to Italy! I found a cheap flight last minute and decided to go. I am going to stay with Susan and her family (friends of my aunt Martha and also family friends) in Rome. I think I also might venture down to Florence for a day or two to hang out with some friends that are doing the Gonzaga-in-Florence study abroad program. Very excited about eating authentic pasta and thin pizza for 6 days, that's for sure.



On with the story. So today we took the train into Dublin from here--with Isabel who I forgot to say is here visiting her sister who lives in Dublin. Madge, Isabel and I are all waiting for the Leus (a ground, metro type train) to take us into town after getting off of the main train. When it arrived, we got on in the back thinking that it was going to be less crowded, (though we still had to stand holding onto a rail) but wrong we were. The next couple of stops more and more people get on. One man gets on, who I can't see because my back is to him and I am also being smashed into this old lady sitting down. When the metro continues to move, all I can hear is the loud raspy breathing from this guy, who is right behind me. He has put his hand on the bar above me, so that his smelly armpit is in my face. The first thing he asks is "do you have a cigarette?", and I reply no, as do Isabel and Madge. I still don't have a visual on this guy; only the old lady in front of me that is talking to herself whispering the name "Michael, Michael". I am just trying to keep my head pointed at the ground as this point because of the situation I am having with the drugged up man behind me and the old women talking to herself in front of me. I then looked over at Madge and Isabel who are trying to cover up the fact that they are hysterically laughing. I start to lose it laughing--people here are so used to being smashed up against each other on this thing!!! The man then begins to fall asleep standing up, using me as his bed. At this point I am like, get me the heck off of this thing!!!!!!!!!!--but then he wakes up really fast and slurs the word sorry. (the least he could do I guess) Meanwhile the old lady begins to start chanting quietly to herself, "N-O, means no!, N-O, means no!" It was probably the most funny/horribly uncomfortable situation I have been in, in a while. We finally jump off at the next stop and laugh out loud for at least 10 minutes!



Small story #2. After lunch I had a sweet tooth, so we were looking for a place to get a little something to cure it. I saw a Hagendas store, and thought sweet, ice cream! Next thing I know it I have ordered a cookies n' cream cone. The man behind the counter then proceeds to tell me to sit down at a table. I was confused, but did as he said. Right as I sit down my cone is brought out to me on a plate!!!! WHAT!! that is crazy!!! haha. I ate it in less than two bites and then the bill was brought to me on another plate. All I can say is fancy!! Can you imagine that happening a Baskin and Robins--I don't think so!!!



Anyways, those were my highlights of the day while I visited the beautiful city of Dublin.



STILL TO COME:

pictures from our journey to see the Loch Ness Monster (did we see nessie? or didn't we? you will have to wait and see!) and Ireland photos!!!

No comments: